Musicological research can prove an unparalleled stimulus for bringing ideas to performance. But I have long been aware that performance can just as easily feed back to musicological thinking. And this is not all. Very often these synergies reveal no clear unidirectional trajectory. I experience this fertile collision with growing interest, in particular because of its potential to reshape our historiographic, stylistic, and professional categories. With this in mind, in November, 2018, I launched this new personal project, first designed for a three-year period: concerts, talks, and other initiatives, some addressed to an academic environment, others to general audiences, the common thread being my yearning to offer alternative ways to perform the classical-music repertoire from a starting point of unconventional musicology-based approaches.
Lectures at the piano
Rethinking the Empire
EXPERIMENTAL IN-VERSION OF BEETHOVEN’S PIANO CONCERTO Nº 5
World premiere: August 2021
An informed experimental performance of Beethoven’s Piano Concerto No. 5, Op. 73. InVersion by Luca Chiantore (2020-2021) with original variants, fermatas and solos recomposed from autograph notes, ornamented timpani part, and extemporaneous rendering of thoroughbass.
World premiere: Morelia, Mexico, August 21, 2021. Tuntzuni Chamber Orchestra. Conductor: Juan Vázquez.
- Eine Waldstein FantasieMy inVERSIONS of Beethoven’s Sonatas Op. 53 and 27#2 (recording scheduled for: November 2020)
- Hélène de Nervo de Montgeroult: Rebel woman, offbeat artistAn informed experimental performance of a choice of Montgeroult Etudes (recording scheduled for: November 2020)
- The Spherical Piano IAn experimental 360º recording of my inVERSIONS of works by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and Johannes Brahms, plus Five Binaural Etudes (2020), composed by myself specifically for this album. Recorded at Musikeon, Valencia, in July, 2020; produced between July and September, 2020 by Ronald Ayala at The Spot Studio. Release: October 2020.
- The Spherical Piano IIFive 360º video recordings of works by Ludwig van Beethoven and Hélène de Montgeroult, filmed by Ángela López Lara at Sala Clemente, Valencia, August, 2020. Produced by Ronald Ayala, The Spot Studio. Release: October 2020.
- Open WorksAn experimental binaural recording of my inVERSIONS of Musorgsky’s Pictures at an Exhibition and Granados’ Valses Poéticos (recording scheduled for: January 2021). Producer Ronald Ayala, The Spot Studio.
Musician, musicologist, educator