Musicological research can prove an unparalleled stimulus for bringing ideas to performance. But I have long been aware that performance can just as easily feed back to musicological thinking. And this is not all. Very often these synergies reveal no clear unidirectional trajectory. I experience this fertile collision with growing interest, in particular because of its potential to reshape our historiographic, stylistic, and professional categories. With this in mind, in November, 2018, I launched this new personal project: concerts, talks, recordings, and other initiatives, some addressed to an academic environment, others to general audiences, the common thread being my yearning to offer alternative ways to perform the classical-music repertoire from a starting point of unconventional musicology-based approaches.
Lectures at the piano
Piano and orchestra
DETHRONING THE EMPEROR
Experimental inVersion of Beethoven’s Piano Concerto No. 5. World premiere: December 2021
A radically different performance of Beethoven’s “Emperor” Concerto: inVersion by Luca Chiantore with original variants; fermatas, cadenza, interludes, and solos (re)composed from autograph sketches; ornamented timpani part; and extemporaneous thoroughbass.
Private world premiere: Mexico City, December 2, 2021
Public world premiere: Morelia, Mexico, December 4, 2021.
Tzintzuni Chamber Orchestra. Conductor: Juan Vázquez.
CHOPIN & SZYMANOWSKA
Experimental inVersions of Chopin’s Piano Concerto Op. 11 and Szymanowska’s Fantasy Op. 19.
An exploration between music, instrumentation, and spoken language together with the Tzintzuni Chamber Orchestra and its conductor, composer Juan Vázquez. Winter 2023-24.
- inVERSIONSMy inVersions of Beethoven’s Sonatas Op. 53 and 27#2 and my experimental informed rendering of nine Etudes by Hélène de Montgeroult (recording: November, 2020; release: February, 1st, 2021). 2 CDs; full digital download available on Bandcamp; full album in Spotify from March 2022.
- Dethroning the EmperorAn experimental video recording of my inVersion of Beethoven’s Piano Concerto No. 5, “Emperor”, with the Tzintzuni Philarmonic Orchestra conducted by Juan Vázquez. Alan Montoya, timpani. Recording: January 23-27, 2023.
- The Spherical PianoAn experimental 360º recording of my inVersions of works by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Fryderyk Chopin, César Franck, Alexander Skriabin, and Johannes Brahms, plus my Five Binaural Etudes (2020), composed specifically for this album. Recorded at Musikeon, Valencia & Barcelona, between July, 2020, and June, 2023; produced by Ronald Ayala at El Spot Studios. Release: Binaural Etudes, April 2022; full album, October 2023.
- Open WorksAn experimental recording of my inVersions of Musorgsky’s Pictures at an Exhibition and Granados’ Valses Poéticos (recording: scheduled Summer, 2023). Producer Ronald Ayala, El Spot Studios.
- FantasierenMy inVersions of fantaisies by Mozart, Beethoven, Montgeroult, and Szymanowska (recording: scheduled Fall, 2023). Producer Ronald Ayala, El Spot Studios.